No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

commercial data transit on a WAN basis that _completely bypasses_ the single
inevitable entity that traditionally gets a decent slice of ALL
communications in Australia: Telstra. This would drop the value of high
bandwidth WAN traffic (eg: city wide 2Mbit symmetric circuits/etc) and also
potentially lower the percieved value of other last mile technologies such
as DSL tails to very low proportions (20% or less of current).

Hopefully, this would ultimately cause a far lower entry point into
residential broadband penetration (both in Metropolitan and rural areas) and
stimulate our currently lagging broadband takeup in Australia (we're quickly
making our way into third-world standards with information access technology
adoption).

Against
-------
Traditionally, the $10,000 carrier license application fee has kind of acted
like a barrier in the WISP business to separate 'serious' businesses with
people who have no clue and just want to make a quick buck.

With a drop in carrier licensing laws, there may be an influx of clueless
startups that scrape together $3000, and start putting up omni directional
antennas willy-nilly all over the place blaring 2.4Ghz rubbish all of the
spectrum. Careless behaviour like this could severely reduce the usefulness
of class-license wireless for everyone, and generally be a bad thing,
therefore negating the entire point of lowering the entry point to carrier
status (from a wireless point of view).

What do you think guys?

Now, about that submission...

	Fenn.