No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

It's most likely that everyone using Silvers will turn on WEP so correct me
if I'm wrong but I'd say the bronze wouldn't be able to talk to them in that
case.

I know the Silver's can't to to the Golds if the Gold's have their 128bit
WEP enabled. Everything is downwards compatible but not back the other way.

Disclaimer: I'm probably wrong :-p

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Freeman [mailto:andy at kawasaki.kz]
Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2002 1:59

Can anyone tell me if the WaveLAN IEEE Turbo Bronze card that I just got
hold of will work in a "Orinoco Silver" network? (or will it only "talk"
to another card of the same type)

I have had trouble finding any information on the card from the Lucent
site with the exception that they will not write Windows 2000 drivers
for it.

I did manage to find mention on a "Apple Mac" site, and from that it
looks like the "turbo bronze" is a 8mb card? (I've never heard of 8mb)

- snip from the Apple page ---------------------

WaveLAN IEEE Standard (2Mb/s) and/or WaveLAN IEEE Turbo (8Mb/s) PC
Cards.
You can recognize the Standard and Turbo PC Cards by the color of their
label, which is either a:
. White label with the WaveLAN logo
. Bronze Label with the WaveLAN logo
. Silver Label with the WaveLAN logo but without the descriptor "Turbo
11"
Archive at:

___________________________

WARNING
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board.
___________________________

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1A452.1B555DDC

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] WaveLAN IEEE Turbo Bronze 802.11</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From what I've heard the Bronze cards don't support any e=
ncryption at all.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It's most likely that everyone using Silvers will turn on=
 WEP so correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say the bronze wouldn't be able to =
talk to them in that case.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I know the Silver's can't to to the Golds if the Gold's h=
ave their 128bit WEP enabled. Everything is downwards compatible but not ba=
ck the other way.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Disclaimer: I'm probably wrong :-p</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Andy Freeman [<A HREF=3D"mailto:andy at kawasaki.kz">=
mailto:andy at kawasaki.kz</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2002 1:59</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Can anyone tell me if the WaveLAN IEEE Turbo Bronze card =
that I just got</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>hold of will work in a &quot;Orinoco Silver&quot; networ=
k? (or will it only &quot;talk&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to another card of the same type)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have had trouble finding any information on the card fr=
om the Lucent</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>site with the exception that they will not write Windows=
 2000 drivers</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for it.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I did manage to find mention on a &quot;Apple Mac&quot; s=
ite, and from that it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>looks like the &quot;turbo bronze&quot; is a 8mb card? (=
I've never heard of 8mb)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- snip from the Apple page ---------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>WaveLAN IEEE Standard (2Mb/s) and/or WaveLAN IEEE Turbo (=
8Mb/s) PC</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cards. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>You can recognize the Standard and Turbo PC Cards by the=
 color of their</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>label, which is either a: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>. White label with the WaveLAN logo </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>. Bronze Label with the WaveLAN logo </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>. Silver Label with the WaveLAN logo but without the des=
criptor &quot;Turbo</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>11&quot; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>------------------------------------------------</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To unsubscribe, send mail to minordomo at melbwireless.dynd=
ns.org with a subject of 'unsubscribe melbwireless'&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Archive at: <A HREF=3D"http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/cg=
i-bin/minorweb.pl?A=3DLIST&L=3Dmelbwireless" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://melbw=
ireless.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=3DLIST&L=3Dmelbwireless</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>IRC at: au.austnet.org #melb-wireless</FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
WARNING<BR>
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.  If you=
 are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose =
all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan=
 Fire and Emergency Services Board.<BR>