No subject

Tue Jan 17 15:36:28 EST 2012

Wantirna, Knoxfield, Scoresy, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, and a few other
places probably but I need to get me a compass and a melways and maybe some
binocculars.

I figure I could link to someone in any of these areas who would be able to
then link toward Wheelers Hill and some parts of Glen Waverley.

Someone in Wheelers Hill or Glen Waverley could them also link towards
Vermont and some other areas.

I must say anyone in Rowville is very lucky, especially those people in the
newer parts.  I have driven around there a bit and simply 1 access point
would be able to service a hell of a lot of houses with minimal fuss.

It would be handy if people could start getting photo's of their views
perhaps with some labels on them saying what surburb it is they are looking
at at each point.  Then people might pop up and go hang on a minute, I can
see my house from there. or at least "Hey maaa git orf tha dang roof!"

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Close [mailto:adrian at close.wattle.id.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 9 January 2002 14:28

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Alex F wrote:

> There are about 18 nodes "operational", let's say 20 to count those who
> haven't updated their status.

Two of those are mine and I'm not linked to anyone.  I have a number of
people close by, but the areas in question are rather hilly and LOS
non-existent.

Except:

Swinburne Lilydale - I can see you.  I can hear you ("swinade") but I
haven't been able to make contact with any people as yet.  Perhaps I
should do the Vernor Vinge "Fire Upon The Deep" style
first-contact-via-network thing...

I have a potential site in Sunshine, which is noticeably flatter.  If
there's anyone in the area who's interested, please let me know!

> cycle just with this.  Some people probably wouldn't even fork out $50 for
> an antenna or go to the effort of setting up, even if you gave them a
> wireless network card for FREE, in the chance that there won't be anyone

Yup.  In my case, I connect to me (notebook to base station) which is
plenty useful.  This might be good motiviation for some people to deploy
wireless.

I know people with very little interest per se who could host nodes in
strategic places (tops of hills) who would be willing to provide power but
little else.  These ones we simply need to fund for the good of the
network and I will do them as and when I can.

> Now let's say that every node becomes "operational", there are still
plenty
> of nodes on the fringes who would out of range to someone.  What's the
> motivation for these people to get set up?

Local wireless access for one, as I mentioned.  The promise of future
connection (minimal motivation, I realise).

Don't forget, we can always run wired links to strategic places.

> We have to find a way of achieving critical mass and moving forward.

Absolutely.  More press coverage would help.  Local papers are probably a
good place to try and place articles (they print most anything anyway and
are generally interested in community-related stuff).

Nick Sibbing and I also had some positive vibes out of Yarra Ranges Shire
when we met with Elizabeth Jenkins there (unfortunately now departed).  A
couple of angles:

- Youth+gaming.  Keep them off the streets by putting wireless gear in
youth centres so people can game.  Community training aspect of this: run
workshops where people learn how to make Pringles antennae as well as
all about computer networking technology (a very saleable skill).

- Community "portals".  Wirelessly-available local community BBSes,
effectively.

- Linking council "service centres".  Yarra Ranges has a bunch of places
from Lilydale out to Warburton.  Video-conferencing to provide services to
these communities definitely generated council interest.

Bottom line - get out there and do something.  At the very least, stick a
wireless card in your PC and create an operational node.  :)

___________________________

WARNING
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board.
___________________________

------_=_NextPart_001_01C198C2.9B6C28DE

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Knox/Glenwaverley/Rowville - was grumpy people - get a move on</TITL=

</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Well I'd like to start marking into an old Melways where =
people around my surrounding areas are located as there is some potential.<=
/FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From the location of my AP which will soon be up, I can s=
ee out towards, Wantirna, Knoxfield, Scoresy, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, and=
 a few other places probably but I need to get me a compass and a melways a=
nd maybe some binocculars.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I figure I could link to someone in any of these areas wh=
o would be able to then link toward Wheelers Hill and some parts of Glen Wa=
verley.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Someone in Wheelers Hill or Glen Waverley could them also=
 link towards Vermont and some other areas.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I must say anyone in Rowville is very lucky, especially t=
hose people in the newer parts.&nbsp; I have driven around there a bit and =
simply 1 access point would be able to service a hell of a lot of houses wi=
th minimal fuss.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It would be handy if people could start getting photo's o=
f their views perhaps with some labels on them saying what surburb it is th=
ey are looking at at each point.&nbsp; Then people might pop up and go hang=
 on a minute, I can see my house from there. or at least &quot;Hey maaa git=
 orf tha dang roof!&quot;</FONT></P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Adrian Close [<A HREF=3D"mailto:adrian at close.wattl=
e.id.au">mailto:adrian at close.wattle.id.au</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, 9 January 2002 14:28</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Alex F wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; There are about 18 nodes &quot;operational&quot;, le=
t's say 20 to count those who</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; haven't updated their status.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Two of those are mine and I'm not linked to anyone.&nbsp;=
 I have a number of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>people close by, but the areas in question are rather hi=
lly and LOS</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>non-existent.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Except:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Swinburne Lilydale - I can see you.&nbsp; I can hear you =
(&quot;swinade&quot;) but I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>haven't been able to make contact with any people as yet=
.&nbsp; Perhaps I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>should do the Vernor Vinge &quot;Fire Upon The Deep&quot=
; style</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>first-contact-via-network thing...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have a potential site in Sunshine, which is noticeably =
flatter.&nbsp; If</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>there's anyone in the area who's interested, please let =
me know!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; cycle just with this.&nbsp; Some people probably wou=
ldn't even fork out $50 for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; an antenna or go to the effort of setting up, even =
if you gave them a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; wireless network card for FREE, in the chance that =
there won't be anyone to</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yup.&nbsp; In my case, I connect to me (notebook to base =
station) which is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>plenty useful.&nbsp; This might be good motiviation for =
some people to deploy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>wireless.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I know people with very little interest per se who could =
host nodes in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>strategic places (tops of hills) who would be willing to=
 provide power but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>little else.&nbsp; These ones we simply need to fund for=
 the good of the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>network and I will do them as and when I can.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Now let's say that every node becomes &quot;operatio=
nal&quot;, there are still plenty</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; of nodes on the fringes who would out of range to s=
omeone.&nbsp; What's the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; motivation for these people to get set up?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Local wireless access for one, as I mentioned.&nbsp; The =
promise of future</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>connection (minimal motivation, I realise).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Don't forget, we can always run wired links to strategic =
places.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; We have to find a way of achieving critical mass and=
 moving forward.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Absolutely.&nbsp; More press coverage would help.&nbsp; L=
ocal papers are probably a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>good place to try and place articles (they print most an=
ything anyway and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>are generally interested in community-related stuff).</F=

</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Nick Sibbing and I also had some positive vibes out of Ya=
rra Ranges Shire</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>when we met with Elizabeth Jenkins there (unfortunately =
now departed).&nbsp; A</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>couple of angles:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Youth+gaming.&nbsp; Keep them off the streets by puttin=
g wireless gear in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>youth centres so people can game.&nbsp; Community traini=
ng aspect of this: run</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>workshops where people learn how to make Pringles antenn=
ae as well as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>all about computer networking technology (a very saleabl=
e skill).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Community &quot;portals&quot;.&nbsp; Wirelessly-availab=
le local community BBSes,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>effectively.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Linking council &quot;service centres&quot;.&nbsp; Yarr=
a Ranges has a bunch of places</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>from Lilydale out to Warburton.&nbsp; Video-conferencing=
 to provide services to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>these communities definitely generated council interest.=
</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bottom line - get out there and do something.&nbsp; At th=
e very least, stick a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>wireless card in your PC and create an operational node.=
&nbsp; :)</FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
WARNING<BR>
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.  If you=
 are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose =
all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan=
 Fire and Emergency Services Board.<BR>