[MLB-WIRELESS] airbase-ng

Neal Wise nwise+melbwireless at spy.net
Sat Feb 19 12:26:48 EST 2011

On 19/02/2011, at 10:16 AM, Anthony Adverse wrote:

> anyone had any joy trying to use this? Not so much as a brass razoo so far. Wonder if I'm wasting my time.  Anyone got a USB dongle they'd part with, that will run in AP mode.  Used to have a zydas that was nice, but I cooked it in a faulty usb port :/

For USB any realtek 8187 chipset cards work great for master/hostap stuff.  Anyone one who was at the Ruxcon conference in November would've seen the results of that since, along with the real wireless networks, we ran a distributed airbase-like setup using 8187s. See pics (fake ap networks are on right side of images):

http://twitpic.com/39axwm

http://www.rootedbox.net/?p=45

http://www.itnews.com.au/Gallery/239456,photos-hacker-skills-tested-at-ruxcon-2010.aspx/4

The following type of Alfa cards work fine
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-160/Alfa-AWUS036EH-200mW-USB/Detail.bok
Most models of alfa are 8187-based. Avoid the higher powered cards (the big silver/green/etc rectangle ones) - shonky built, run hot and I doubt they have the output power they claim.

I'm pretty sure that RF Shop sells Alfa cards

Also you could go to/look online at Officeworks, DSE or something and maybe search for model numbers of the USB cards they sell to find something 8187-based. I recall some really ugly-looking Netcomm and Belkin adapters that were 8187-based that Officeworks sold a few years ago

Neal