[MLB-WIRELESS] Simplest, cheapest, GPS style tracking

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Fri May 21 14:55:17 EST 2010

At 02:32 PM 5/21/2010, emdeex wrote:
>Hi, I'm still dreaming of launching a balloon experiment one day.
>
>I've got most of it figured, except for how to recover the payload accurately,
>
>I've seen blogs were they used radio transmitters and triangulation,
>but I wonder if these GPS modules would be easier.

Remember that a lot of radio amateurs like a good foxhunt, so the GPS
kinda takes the fun out of it. ;)

>Is a GPS tracking module like this the best way?
>
><http://cgi.ebay.com.au/smallest-Real-Time-mini-Spy-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-bug>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/smallest-Real-Time-mini-Spy-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-bug

You could use something like APRS to send the data on a radio
beacon.  APRS uses GPS and packet radio technology to enable the
tracking of objects.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com