[MLB-WIRELESS] wifi cards for sale

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Tue May 11 13:41:22 EST 2010

At 10:46 AM 5/11/2010, you wrote:
>What are the legalities of using 900MHz gear in Australia? Shaun
>Clarke CTS IT/AV Technician

Depends if it has the C-tick or not.  Part of 900 MHz is still an ISM
band.  I have a wireless weather station which operates in this band,
and came with Australian certification for use on 900 MHz.  Just as
well, because the newer 433 MHz band would be a disaster here, as any
receiver has to contend with frequent high power signals at 438.6
MHz, 5 MHz away, and occasional strong signals on 433.6 MHz.  It's a
pity most of these consumer gadgets don't come with a choice of bands.

2.4 GHz is not much better here, with 2APs and a wireless video link
occupying the band, but at least none of these are high power, unlike
the 433 MHz situation.  When the doorbell was up, it used to be
intermittent, depending on whether the repeater on 438.6 was
transmitting at the time or not. ;)

900 MHz, that's probably dead quiet around here, with one phone being
3G, and much of GSM carried on 1800 MHz these days. :)  Only problem
the weather station experiences is dropouts of the
temperature/humidity/wind readings and phantom rainfall (300mm in 20
minutes!) when I fire up on HF, but that's induced RF in the cables
between the sensors and the transmitter, by the looks of it.  I'll
have to get out the ferrite rods and wind some chokes. ;)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com