[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Wed Mar 17 12:46:03 EST 2010

At 12:31 PM 3/17/2010, mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
>There it is - one perfect example of the advantage of VPN backhaul (if
>anyone needed convincing ;-)

Well, from here, I have no path east, unless I can manage a mast
height greater than 7 or 8 metres, because the freeway really
disrupts wifi signals.  A few years ago, I did some tests for
work.  From 1km away, but across the freeway, we setup a wifi link
back to here.  We had signal levels around the -68dBm level, if I
recall, quite a solid signal, but we could not get a viable link
up.  My theory is the passing traffic disrupted the signal with
constantly changing reflections.  Links more than 1km to the south
will have similar issues with both railway and freeway.  Unless
someone has a good link over local obstructions, we'll be an island
without VPN connectivity.

>There's been a VPN router pledged to MW, all we need is somewhere to put it!
>(I think there was some indication that deployment at HVC is imminent?)

Sounds good. :)  I tend to use OpenVPN here for VPN work. :)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com