[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Wed Mar 17 10:51:43 EST 2010

At 10:33 AM 3/17/2010, mw at freenet.net.au wrote:

>VMWare server runs on any windows platform including XP - I've run it under
>XP myself for years.  It makes for an excellent dev platform.

I stand corrected, though maybe there was a short period when it only
ran on server versions?

> > Maybe there's a need for "dev"/test systems, so the apprentices can
> > play (and break things)?
>
>Exactly!  What better way to learn than break it and then have to try to
>repair it! ;-)

Indeed.  I learnt my Linux skills that way.  Was productive time
spent on the dole in the mid 90s, which ended up with me finding
work, and implementing Linux based solutions 6 months later (in late
1997, before the Linux hype started :) ).

> > I'm just an interested spectator, for the most part.  I haven't
> > checked the node database for a while, but there were none close
> > enough when I was active.  Maybe it's time to take another look. :)
>
>Yes, please do! :)  whare are you located?  Would you consider setting up an
>AP node with VPN backhaul to the MW network as in interim?

I'm in Laverton.  Airspace here is pretty crowded, between the local
school and my own internal APs.  I have a good directional panel
antenna for a link somewhere.  I also have an AP (11Mbps) that could
be used for access.  VPN backhaul is certainly a worthy
exercise.  It's not unlike the modern ham radio approach - IRLP,
Echolink, D-STAR, APRS, where local VHF/UHF systems are linked via
the Internet.

> > As for VMs, I have a couple running, namely a ham radio related VM in
> > Adelaide under Xen (which has quite a bit running on it!), and
> > another VM in the US, which hosts a web server and a couple of other
> > bits and pieces.
>
>Cool - Virtualisation is definitely the way of the future.  I honestly can't
>think of many reasons (certainly not any GOOD reasons ;-) to load an OS on
>the bare metal these days.

On servers, not many, it's more economical to use multiple VMs.  If
you can use paravirtualisation (e.g. Xen) or container approaches,
you can maintain almost native performance as well.  These approaches
are particularly good for Linux based setups.  I tend to prefer Xen
among these approaches, because you get an independent kernel, and
can support things such as IPv6.

>But I'm sure I'll hear a few suggestions if I listen long enough! :-D

Someone will have a few, there's always valid reasons, even if
they're less common these days.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com