[MLB-WIRELESS] wiki and spam

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Tue Mar 16 23:41:34 EST 2010

On 16/03/2010, at 11:34 PM, <mw at freenet.net.au> <mw at freenet.net.au> wrote:

> Since the issue has been raised and complained about several times, I guess
> it is high time that someone put up a hand to chip in and fix it.
>
> Before that can be done, there are a couple of obvious questions that need
> to be asked:
>
> 1.  what is it based on - I assume it is some open source solution that's
> been somehow integrated to the MW site, so what is the original source?

I believe Tyson wrote it from scratch. It's a flat file based wiki that was custom written.

> 2.  where is the admin for it (if any)?  Again, the assumption is that there
> is some kind of admin interface where access security can be set for
> individual users, grant and revoke read/write rights etc.

I guess Tyson would be the admin? or writer? Everyone in the melbwireless group on the server has access to change it - however I don't think anyone is really up to scratch on how it all works.

> There are two possible solutions to this problem the way I see it:
>
> a. shut down write access to the wiki to only users who have been vetted -
> e.g financial members or similar

This would need more discussion - as you wouldn't want to exclude just about everyone - as that takes away the usefulness of a wiki - however I think the issue is more a fact that people can automate signups to the web site and then spam away.

> b. add captcha test on account sign-up

Might help - but as far as I know, most have been broken at some stage... It will still be better than it is now however...

> the latter probably has limited value if a real human is even involved in
> creation of user access accounts - dunno if that is the case here though...?

I think this was fully automated to eliminate the overhead of someone actually having to do it.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au