[MLB-WIRELESS] Backtarck under Virtual box in windows

Neal Wise nwise+melbwireless at spy.net
Wed Jun 2 22:33:14 EST 2010

On 02/06/2010, at 6:49 PM, Mark Aitken wrote:

> I have mounted Backtrack in a virtualbox under winxp.
>
> It can not see my Netgear usb wifi dongle.
>
> Can someone assist with getting the dongle and BT4 to chat together?

You're going to grow to hate using backtrack in a VM with a wireless device. Any sniffing or injecting is going to miss stuff and throw errors all over. Best bet is to install BT4 to a USB stick or SD card and boot it natively.

Also which netgear dongle do you have? Not all USB devices are supported and some vendors are notorious for swapping chipsets out in different releases of the same model device.

In my experience the best USB support in BT4 is for devices using the rt73 rt8187 shipsets. You might want to look at some of the alfa branded devices (see ebay). Plus they have RP-SMA connectors.