[MLB-WIRELESS] ADSL / CABLE Channel Bonding

Todd Hubers todd.hubers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:49:14 EST 2009

Hi Russel,

That's helpful - thanks. The instructions I found were
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bond-or-team-multiple-network-interfaces-nic-into-single-interface.html
and
created a virtual interface, and seemed to have very low level control over
the upstream links - interacting with MII messages (which enable it to
detect when a link is down). One of the modes stripes per packet, and
therefore I understand that this would be impossible unless the links being
bonded where configured for this (as the Cable and ADSL are from two ISPs
this is far from possible). Other modes may be possible, but your suggestion
of using iproute and iptables looks like the most likely choice. I see
that a TCP stream would need to stay linked to a single channel (except for
fail over).

The iptables look good for redirecting all RDP traffic automatically.

As for spill-over the ultimate setup would:
* Watch throughput on eth0 (being the ADSL2+ link with heaps of volume in
the plan)
    * May also watch the number of TCP sessions - and maybe limit eth0 to 50
TCP sessions or 80% of bandwidth, which ever comes first
* Most traffic would be HTTP and therefore TCP sessions would be short
* When throughput reaches say 80% of a predefined limit for eth0, redirect
new streams to eth1
* The "spill over" would be a rare occurance, maybe totalling one minute of
traffic a day

I'm not sure if Linux has such scope for that functionality out-of-the-box,
or whether a custom/third-party application or driver would be required.

Regards,
Todd