[MLB-WIRELESS] RECs and HOW do they work exactly?

Alan gone_4wding at bigpond.com
Tue May 26 21:25:30 EST 2009

I thinks REC's work a bit like this:
You put in a solar system and it generates electricity from the sun -
this is called renewable energy, no ongoing greenhouse gas emissions.
Down the LaTrobe vally is a coal fired power plant that makes
electricity by burning coal. This produces greenhouse gasses.

The coal fired station are looking to increase the amount of electricity
being produced by renewable means so they can keep to the 2000
greenhouse gas emissions.
The greenhouse gas savings you make can be subtracted from the coal
fired greenhouse gas emissions.
They can:
(a) build a solar powered plant and produce green electricity.
(b) encourage you to build a solar generator by buying the rights to the
electricity generated by your system - They do this via REC's.

So by selling your REC's to a coal fired station allows them to increase
their electricity/ greenhouse emissions and stay under the 2000
greenhouse gas limits.

This is just an example of why someone would pay for your REC's

Alan