[MLB-WIRELESS] Bullet2 output power, why 1W or 100mW

Ivy Jane Gardiner ivy at carnagevisors.net
Thu Mar 5 17:52:31 EST 2009

Mark Aitken wrote:
>> Give a license to anyone who proves that they understand the consequences of
>> their activity so that if they cause a ruckus by hogging all the available
>> spectrum or consistently wiping out everyone elses (even non-amatuer)
>> signals, then there is a means to stop them from doing it.
>>

> ah, but you see, we are given an element of protection above and over
> that of a free license user, just
> as a primary band user is given protection over that of a secondary band
> user.
>
> We are not buskers, more to the point that a free license user is the
> busker! given a permit to use
> the band by the government so long as they do not interfer with primary
> and secondary users.
>
> Have read of the regs.....
>
> Mark

And I have to say it's a lot more fun that either busking or listening
to buskers.

One of the things I love doing is just talking to people on the other
side of the world, using only 100 watts. 20 Metres seems to be picking
up at the moment too which makes it better.

Satelite comms can be a lot of fun, but quite infuriating, if one has to
manually adjust for doppler shift.

Another mode which is a lot of fun, is the digital mode PSK31, which
while quite slow for people who don't remember 300 baud modems, is
great. My partner has managed to speak (or type heh) to people in the
states using this mode, only using about 5 watts power.

Well worth getting into, the foundation license can be a lot of fun and
gives you enough bands to find out if it interests you (no digital modes
though, and only 10 watts power.) The exam isn't too hard, and most
radio clubs will do training and examination days.

Then there is the standard license, two exams for that one Regs and
theory, again not hard at all. And gives you more bands (yey 20 metres)
digital modes, and more power (100 watts.)

Finally there is the Advanced license, even more bands and more power
(depending on emission type.) One exam for this (or two if you haven't
done regs) and still isn't too hard.

I myself just get a kick out of building my own antennas, just need to
get something going for 160 Metres now.

Take care

Ivy

--