[MLB-WIRELESS] Setting up node JQY

David Coles coles.david at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:17:59 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I'm finally back in Melbourne after my eight months over in Scotland.
Since I have about a month and a half until I head back to Uni, I though
now would be a good time to try and get node JQY up and running on
Melbourne Wireless. While over in Scotland I did quite a bit of work
with the Tardis Project (http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/) and experimented
with setting up a small IPv6 network and as I'd be quite interested in
seeing what sort of stuff could be set up.

I'm located in Croydon South with pretty good views to the east out
towards the Yarra Valley, Mount Dandenong and One Tree Hill. For a
better idea of what is possible to be seen have a look at
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~dcoles/roofviews/ (alas there are a pair of
whopping great trees in the middle of the shot).

Hardware wise I have a few AP that can run OpenWRT such as an ASUS
WL-500g, an ASUS WL-HDD, a Linksys WRT54G(v2), a Linksys WAP54G(v3) as
well as a couple of old PCMCIA D-Link DWL-650 that run quite nicely with
the hostap drivers on Linux. The biggest problem at the moment is that I
lack anything to attach them too. Back in August last year, it was
suggested that I invest in a Parabolic antenna of some sort. I think I
remember Jaycar having a few of these in stock before I left, but I
can't find them in the catalogue any more. I guess I'd have to go have a
look at somewhere like Freenet Antennas.

Cheers,

David Coles
http://www.dcoles.net/