[MLB-WIRELESS] Any suggestions on a Good GPS/wireless, Strength mapper?

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 11 12:23:02 EST 2008

Bryan Pliatsios wrote:
>>> Now that I have my node up and running (pity I cant find anybody to
>>> connect to *shrugs*, but them's the breaks), I was hoping that I could
>>> generate a "coverage" map of my antenna's around the neighborhood.
> [SNIP]
>>> Any suggestions  would be Great.  I might even compose a howto if I get
>>> it working properly.
>>
>> Kismet and gpsd with a bluetooth gps receiver would be perfect for this
>> I believe.
>
> A useful piece of software is Radio Mobile.
> I don't think it has been mentioned before, or maybe a verrry long time.
> It's not a real-world surveying tool, but a modelling package.
>
> Check it out, I spend hours playing with it trying to predict long
> distance hops and V/UHF converage:
> http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

I can't remember his name, but the guy in MtGambier that wrote the driver for
the G15 Logitech keyboard for Linux wrote some add ons for gpsdrive that logs
ESSID and signal strength to a MySQL database to do coverage maps...
not sure if this is published, but something to look out for. =)
i need to this around home myself.

regards,

Kim
~~
ps - maybe its mike or michael ?
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au