[MLB-WIRELESS] De-Listing of google searchs

emdeex emdeex at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 11:49:07 EST 2008

I think it is that you have no "right" to free speech.  So if you say
something, and its challenged legally, its up to the courts to decide
if you have broken any particular laws.  You don't have a right to say
what you want.  Its up to you to make sure you don't break any laws.

The most common law used to restrict speech in Australia are the libel
laws.  The punishment might be fines.  What you can say is also
restricted under various national security laws, and those punishments
might include jail time.  There may be other laws.

>From google:
In Australia, liability laws are strict—authors and publishers alike
may be liable for material deemed to be libelous even if they intended
no injury to reputation and took reasonable care to check the
information. Moreover, the test for defamation is vague, based on a
court's assessment of "contemporary community standards". Damages
depend on the commercial value attached to the maligned reputation. In
some Australian states, truth is no defense—defendants must prove that
there was a public interest or public benefit in making the allegedly
harmful statement, even if it is accurate.