[MLB-WIRELESS] intro

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Mon Oct 13 09:14:10 EST 2008

mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm new around here, so I thought I'd pop in a post to introduce myself.

Welcome aboard the project! :)
> I've actually been working with wireless networks for a few years and have
> had a few shots at trying to get a community network running around geelong.
> At the moment, I have an operational AP at lovely banks (near corio - north
> of geelong) with a couple of buddies connected, plus one longer link back to
> some servers I have stashed in a warehouse a few Km away.
>
> http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/maps/view?id=KBN

Fantastic. I'm in the process of setting up the first nodes for the
SoCalWiFI network (http://www.socalwifi.net)
project. WiFI WiFI everywhere. :)
> I've never really got much traction with this 'geelong freenet', with link
> buddies coming and going over the years, but now that I see that there is a
> bit of interest round here, I'm keen to have a renewed shot at extending
> this network some more.  One thing to start shortly is to establish a ~12K
> link over to JEE soon enough - just waiting on arrival of a bit of gear
> coming from china - due this week :)

Fantastic.
> I work generally in the ISP industry, predominantly with wireless, and have
> developed some systems for running wifi access services including WISP and
> public access hotspots etc.  I've also worked with various proprietry
> wireless systems like canopy, skypilot, and airspan.

I have been on a thread regarding skypilot which was the basis of a
pilot deployment
in Portland. They are evidently Ubiquity radios inside (http://ubnt.com).

Thanks for posting to the list and introducing yourself!

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
(818)280-7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com