[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: Lord of the Rings style link to NASA Canberra

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Wed Jul 23 13:08:45 EST 2008

Thanks Mark, Rob and Emdeex(?),

So this little gadget would cost way more than $25.000 for a meager 11 Mbit
throughput? So that is 1.37 MB per second, 3.5 TB per month. My ADSL
provider charges me $50 for 25 GB (I know, not a fare comparison at all), so
they would charge $7000 a month for that connection.  Except...

We still don't have Internet. What would NASA charge for that 11 Mbit?
Wouldn't really impress them; don't they have a 1 Gbit link to the outside
world or something?

We still have that maintenance issue. Which is huge, given that this is a
serial setup with a lot of parts that can break.

We have only connected myself (11 Mbit is still a bit slow in my standards;
I won't share that...). And I pay $30 dollars a month for twice that in The
Netherlands. Assuming the equipment lasts for 5 years (or at least the link
becomes irrelevant because Australia might, , I hope, be bathing in cheap
broadband by that time and Moore's law will make 11 Mbit sound pathetic), I
would be looking at a bill of $400 dollars a month, plus actual internet,
plus maintance.

This would also totally not scale, because as I understood it there is only
about 10 frequencies available and you would need separate antenna's for
each of them (correct?). After that, you have to take different routes. So
in the end you would connect 10 Melbourians (perhaps a few more if they are
willing to put up with a slow connection for half a decade) for half a
milliion dollars and get yourself into an infrastructural disaster.

Digging and laying out optic fibre cables sounds a whole lot more attractive
all of a sudden. Actually, even Telstra's iPhone deals sound better than
this.

Cheers,

Sjors