[MLB-WIRELESS] How can I make a portable wireless delivery system?

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 7 15:32:48 EST 2008

Hi all

Can someone please help me with a project I want to put together and
test out.

I have an old slow laptop - a Toshiba 1550CDS. I also have a small USB
wireless adaptor that I can use with it for netstumbling and such. There
is no important software on the laptop to speak of. It is running
Windows XP but I don't wish to switch to Linux.

What I want to do (in Windows) is reconfigure the laptop using my wifi
adaptor so that it will act as a sort of portable wireless delivery
system. By this I mean the wifi would be an Access Point with DHCP
running and provide access to a prepared web page on the hard drive.

The purpose of this is to make a simple portable wireless delivery
system. Let's say for example, I was selling my house. I could turn my
laptop on and place it in the house. It would not be connected to the
internet - just a standalone laptop permanently on. I would then put a
message on the real estate board outside telling people to connect their
wirelessly enabled laptops to '123 Hobart Street' (ssid of laptop). When
they did so and opened up their browser they would be automatically
taken to a webpage which would have details about the house and pictures
of the inside.

Another use might be at a local festival. You take the laptop along and
set it up and people can login and get information about the festival,
where the toilets are etc.

So I need some way to configure windows to allow people to connect using
their laptop and be taken automatically to a web page of my choosing on
the hard drive of the laptop.

How can I do this without adding any extra hardware and in Windows XP?

Hoping someone can help

Regards Peter