[MLB-WIRELESS] Question re Using Router as a wireless adaptor

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 21 23:01:30 EST 2007

Hi all

I would be grateful if someone could answer a question I have. I am
waiting for a wireless adaptor with sma plug to arrive from Hong Kong by
post. I plan to hook up this to my cantenna and try and hook into the
Melbourne Wireless network.

In the meantime I wondered whether I could use my router as a wireless
adaptor. I own a  TP-link wr642G which has a sma plug to hook the
antenna into. Is it possible to use a router like the wr642g as a
wireless adaptor? I mean if I plug my laptop into the router and then
plug my cantenna into the sma plug via a pigtail can I run netstumbler
and hunt for access points using the router as a kind of wireless adaptor?

If so what settings do I need to imput or changes do I need to make in
software (I am running Windows) to run netstumbler using my router? I
have already tried without success but maybe there is a setting I have
to change?

cheers Peter