[MLB-WIRELESS] Nasa Tv over MW

Robert Hart robert at air-stream.org
Thu Sep 20 09:09:12 EST 2007

Opps yes of cause :-P your right, I should have read your post, as I was
thinking of conventional ATV broadcasts.

P2P streaming might do what you want, but I'm sure there are some more
technical guys who could answer this question.

On an ACMA standpoint becoming a member of the MW network falls within
the meaning of 'exempt network' under subsection 34 (3) of the
Telecommunications Act 1997, the owner of the exempt network is not
required to hold a carrier licence.

An exempt network includes a WLAN that is used for the sole purpose of
supplying carriage services on a non-commercial basis.

The reference to sole purpose means that not only must it be shown that
the network is used for supplying carriage services on a non-commercial
basis, but that it is used only for that purpose. A not-for-profit
incorporated association like Melbourne Wireless fits very well into
this interpretation.

Cheers

Robert

Peter Berrett wrote:
> Thanks Robert but the ACMA have already advised that we are not
> allowed to retransmit NASA TV over Amateur Radio.
>
> Regards Peter vk3pb
>
> Robert Hart wrote:
>> One the ways you could do this is by having other Amateur Radio
>> Operators involved in the MW network and rather that trying to
>> simultaneously stream to a 100 users, stream to several cached
>> servers where other Amateur Radio operators re-transmit the streamed
>> broadcast in the conventional ATV way.
>>
>> Robert
>> Air-Stream Wireless
>> www.air-stream.org.au
>>

>> Peter Berrett wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'd like to float an idea and see how practical it would be to
>>> integrate into the MW network.
>>>
>>> First some background. I am an amateur radio/tv enthusiast and also
>>> I have a few dishes that sometimes are used to receive satellite tv.
>>> NASA Television is available via the Intelsat 701 satellite and
>>> there are no copyright problems with retransmitting it. I have
>>> wanted for some time to transmit this through the vk3rtv repeater
>>> however in Australia the Amateur Radio rules are a bit more
>>> restrictive than in the USA where it is common.
>>>
>>> However the fast speeds of Melbourne Wireless seem suited to a
>>> service streaming Nasa TV. I wonder how viable/practical this would
>>> be to setup? Assuming I could get a PAL feed from Intelsat 701 what
>>> equipment and software would I need to make this streaming tv
>>> service available across the network.
>>>
>>> More importantly however what would happen if say 100 people all
>>> wanted to watch NASA TV at the same time on the network eg due to a
>>> shuttle launch? Would the streaming tv have to be carried 100
>>> separate times across the network thus overloading the system or is
>>> there some way to distribute one signal across the network and
>>> people can just passively receive the streamed packets?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that if this concept was viable then it might attract
>>> more members and provide a useful service for members. I currently
>>> watch NASA TV over the web but the picture quality is not great. Do
>>> we have the bandwidth at MW to carry a TV signal?
>>>
>>> Thanks Peter

Robert Hart
Committee, Secretary

*Air-Stream Wireless Incorporated*
PO BOX 301
Walkerville SA 5081

email: robert at air-stream.org
url: http://www.air-stream.org.au

Contact details during business hours:
SA Group Enterprises
Mark Oliphant Building
Laffer Drive
Bedford Park SA 5042
Phone: 08 8464 0778
Facsimile: 08 8201 7586

*Disclaimer*
to the sender and the intended recipient and may be
privileged or subject to copyright of the sender or a third
party.

If you are not the intended recipient please notify the
sender immediately via return e-mail or by
calling +618 8464 0780.

Any views expressed in this communication are those of
the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
stated them to be the view of SA Group Enterprises Incorporated..

Whilst we have used appropriate software to alert us to
the presence of viruses, we cannot guarantee that this
e-mail and any other files transmitted with it are not
infected.