[MLB-WIRELESS] OpenWRT on Meraki

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 09:38:44 EST 2007

Hi Guys,

I've managed to install OpenWRT on one of my Merakis following the
instructions here:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=47337#p47337
lschweiss (the author) decided to ignore the existing Meraki flash
partitions and erase them completely - he then installs partitions that
resemble those on broadcom routers and flashes vmlinux.gz kernel and
root.squashfs filesystem files from the atheros-2.6 kamikaze snapshots.

It is easier than the methods described here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Meraki/Mini

No serial port is needed but you do need to set your IP address to
192.168.84.9 and run a TFTP server on your box to get image files into the
Meraki.  At boot time, the Meraki listens on 192.168.84.1 and you have a 2
second window to telnet into port 9000 to get into the RedBoot bootloader.

Read the rest of the posts in the forum link above to keep up-to-date with
this.  I want to see if it is possible to copy the "RedBoot Config" and "FIS
directory" partitions from one Meraki to another, so subsequent installs
don't need to log into RedBoot.

Can I have my other Meraki back now please? :)

With some brief testing I have managed to get the Meraki's atheros radio to
operate in simultaneous adhoc+ap+client mode but it's a but tricky to fiddle
with - you have to get the config right the first time - it doesn't seem to
let you change it - or at least, you have to wait a minute or so to see any
changes you make.  The current Kamikaze Atheros-2.6 snapshot includes
kmod-madwifi - 2.6.19.2+r2313-20070505-atheros-1.

Sven-Ola from Freifunk has a meraki-compatible package repository here:
http://olsrexperiment.de/sven-ola/fonera/
In it you'll find OLSR and Quagga packages.  These have the plugin (for
olsrd) and patch (for quagga) to allow route redistribution between OLSR and
OSPF.

Cheers,

Dan