[MLB-WIRELESS] After an 802.11b card...

samiam at air-stream.org samiam at air-stream.org
Mon May 14 22:37:15 EST 2007

Here is a linux solution you can wardrive with and align antennas:

Freenet Antennas UltraUSB $60 with external RP-SMA connector

http://store.freenet-antennas.com/

Freenet Antennas tested a number of USB adapters and decided on this one
for the following reasons:

    * From the same supplier that provides our hugely popular UltraWAP. We
are very happy with the quality and performance of equipment from this
supplier.
    * This very versatile unit works with the following popular wifi tools:
          o Netstumbler
          o Kismet, the passive wifi monitor
          o Aircrack, the wireless network auditor
    * It has drivers for
      	Windows, including Vista 		Linux
      	Macintosh 		Intel IXP
    * It has an external rpSMA antenna connector. As modern laptops no
longer come with PCMCIA slots, it is becoming increasingly difficult
to add an WiFi interface with an external antenna connector. This unit
solves the problem.
    * Multi Mode:
          o Client (Station Infrastructure)
          o Ad-Hoc
          o Access point (AP). Yes! You can operate this unit as an AP.
The Windows driver includes SoftAP which is used with this USB
device to make an AP.

802.11g Wireless LAN Hi-Gain USB Adapter

    * Complies with the IEEE-802.11g / b wireless standard
    * High-Speed Wireless data rate up to 54Mbps
    * 64/128/256-bit WEP, WPA Data Encryption function
    * Portable mini size design with 2dBi antenna

 Key Features

    * Complies with the IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g 2.4GHz (DSSS)
standards.
    * Supports 64/128/256-bit WEP, WPA (TKIP, IEEE 802.1x) and AES
functions for high level of security.
    * Supports peer-to-peer communication among any wireless users. No
Access Point required.
    * Automatic fallback increases data security and reliability.
    * Supports the most popular operating systems: Windows
98SE/Me/2000/XP, Vista, Linux, Macintosh.
    * Supports USB 2.0/1.1/1.0 interfaces.
    * Operates in 3 modes: Client (Station Infrastructure), Ad-Hoc, and
Access point (AP). Yes! You can operate this unit as an AP. The
Windows driver includes SoftAP which is used with this USB device to
make an AP.
    * Uses the raLINK chipset which is very Linux friendly and allows
packet injection and monitor mode with scanning.