[MLB-WIRELESS] R100 / WL500G router with Webcam?

Peter Buncle peter at nmc.net.au
Thu Mar 22 09:07:37 EST 2007

Hi Emdeex,

I've got the phillips series webcams working on these unit's.
(using pwc and pwcx for 640 x 480 res)

They are currely active on node ilc , jia, hvc , jee for mastcam shots.

The webcam you want to get is the logitech pro 4000

They are available for about $50 on ebay.

There's a few other models that may work but these are the best.

PM me if you want more detail on the config for this track.

BUT , as of recent , gphoto2 is finally now available on openwrt

It's in

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backports/rc6/

It does work , but I've found a bug that stops the zoom
Function working. Fortuanly of only a missing stanadard
Library function so shouldn't be too hard to fix.

(roundf is missing)

It's great to finally get real high quality images on these unit's.

Webcams are fine for your front yard and typically better than most pal
cams
But for a mast cam your much better with a real still camera , and tell
me where
else you can get a zoom / shutter / expo controllable camera with 3 plus
megapixel
res for the same price !

See www.gphoto.org site for suppported cameras.

Just to see if it'd work, I've hacked a kodak C300 $35 3 megapixel no
zoom camera.

(the kodaks have file access only so avoid this series  - olympus seems
to be
one of the best supported)

I soldered wires to it so it can be conrolled by a picaxe 18x chip to
continously take Photo's & enable / disable the usb in a loop.

This works really well and results in a hi res pic every 60 sec
On the webpage of the wl500g premium runnning openwrt.

Even with no zoom this cam leaves the webcam in the dust for quality.

But when you compare 40k file from the webcam to 640k for the kodak
you'd expect something better !

Be aware you'll probably have to remount the filesystem to a usbkey
To be able to fit gphoto onto the unit.

I have scripts for this too. - pm me

Have fun,

Peter