[MLB-WIRELESS] Meraki Mini

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:20:59 EST 2007

>Has anyone used a meraki mini? I am thinking of getting one however i would
>like to know some peoples past experiences with the unit, before i order
>one.

Hi Phil,

It depends on what you want to use it for.  If you want to hack/play with a
new piece of gear, then I'd recommend buying one.  Buying just one from
Meraki is a bit expensive though.

They are a purpose-built router/AP for mesh networking.  They come with a
firmware that is designed to propogate Internet Access across the mesh with
little or no configuration.  It's very good for distributing Internet Access
to all nodes on the network, but maybe not so good for a network where the
nodes want to communicate with each other.

My personal opinion of the Merakis is that they are the future of Community
Networking in Australia, but not quite yet.  Here I envision them being used
with Freifunk/OpenWRT, rather than the Meraki firmware.  The Meraki vendor
firmware doesn't take into account the strict government regulations that
surround the distribution of Internet in Australia.  It also doesn't seem to
consider that nodes on the network might want to communicate with each other
directly - but this needs to be tested.  The firmware certainly doesn't care
anything about the Melbourne Wireless IP Address allocation system - if we
used it on our network we'd run into all sorts of IP addressing issues.

Installing OpenWRT on the Meraki is a difficult, user-unfriendly process at
the moment.  So the first big hurdle is sorting this out.  Reading the
OpenWRT forums tells me that the OpenWRT Developers intend to write a new
"stage2" bootloader for the Meraki that will make it a lot easier to load
new firmware images.  Unfortunately I haven't heard much on this front
lately - I hope they haven't forgotten about it...

Once this is sorted, we would want to get Freifunk or similar ported to
OpenWRT Kamikaze - plans for this are already afoot.  So by the time OpenWRT
is properly ported to the Meraki, we might be able to use Kamikaze/Freifunk
straight away.

Cheers,

Dan