[MLB-WIRELESS] Meraki news

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 18:52:25 EST 2007

Hi,

I think it would be well worth organising a co-ordinated group and
mailing list for the mesh efforts in Australia.
Most of the work to date has been in Germany/Austria, and the
documentation is alles auf Deutsch...

There are a lot of similarities between what you guys in Melbourne, us
in Adelaide (Air-Stream via safreenet.org), and the guys in Darwin
(the-mesh.org) are wanting to do.

It would be good to pool our efforts together.
Some of the initial RD projects we should consider would be:
- getting OpenWRT/OLSRd up and running on the Meraki mini units
- finding a couple of appropriate omni antennas for the Meraki units
- working out a low cost weatherproof/outdoor mounting solution
- making up a pcb design for the PoE injector that we can mass produce easily
- Adding in the captive portal interface, and allowing customisable
local content (key for local business interest)
- testing the setups in the field.

For the meantime I've setup a Google Groups list at
http://groups.google.com/group/ausmesh/

We have a lot of experience in many fields out in the wireless community.

Cheers
Simon