[MLB-WIRELESS] WiMAX to go Australia wide?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue Jun 19 23:05:28 EST 2007

Yep and I love how this old chestnut is rolled out every time someone
wants to bitch about why broadband in Australia sucks..... oh the
tyranny of distance ....a wide brown land ....and all that crap.

Lets face it - they vast majority of people live in the suburbs in
Australia.

Yes there are people in the bush but 4k's from an exchange with nothing
but pair gain is hardly....middle of nowhere sorry you are stuck in the
dark ages.

I'm not expecting fiber to the tent when I'm camping in the middle of
nowhere.....I'm just expecting that Telstra deliver a public service OR
should they decide in the interest of shareholder value NOT to deliver a
public service then get the hell out of the way and open up to
competition.

It's fine that Telstra went public - I think it's a good thing to offer
all those struggling financial advisors a way of making easy
money...however when they went public nothing in the listing said that
they should continue to be the one and only provider of
telecommunications services.

Their attitudes to restricting access to copper and exchanges is what's
holding Australia back.

There are areas in NY that are less populated than where I live in
Sydney however I can sign up for 8mb cable with no issues at all.

Stick that in your data statistics argument.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net