[MLB-WIRELESS] WiMAX to go Australia wide?

Tyson Clugg tclugg at umd.com.au
Tue Jun 19 10:40:47 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 18:10 +1000, emdeex wrote:
> So as you've all probably heard, the federal govt says it will roll
> out WiMAX Australia wide with Optus and Elders.

Hang on a second... I've got deja-vu!

<rustling noises...>

Yep, I was right.  This rollout is most likely the flow on from the
following enquiry back in 2002, which Melbourne Wireless took part:

Standing Committee on Communications, Information Technology and the
Arts
Committee activities (inquiries and reports)
Inquiry into Wireless Broadband Technologies
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/index.htm

     COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
    Official Committee Hansard
             HOUSE OF
         REPRESENTATIVES
STANDING COMMITTEE ON COMMUNICATIONS,
 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND THE ARTS
Reference: Wireless broadband technologies
       TUESDAY, 2 JULY 2002
            MELBOURNE

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/transcripts/official2july.pdf
 and also
http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/reps/commttee/r5608.pdf

At the time, we (Melbourne Wireless) were interested in seeking
clarification on the legality of our operations, citing the confusion
between non-profit and cost-recovery and how Melbourne Wireless might be
able to offer the Internet (real WWW, Google and all) to the general
public and members.  As we sat in Spring St, we heard the ramblings of
many a telco CEO.

The hansard notes show some interesting quotes on the cost-effectiveness
of providing "last-mile" comms to the bush.  The report makes
recommendations on the result of the enquiry.  The report foreword
starts with the following paragraph:

Wireless broadband has an important role to play in extending
the reach of broadband services to all Australians. There is no one
particular wireless broadband technology that can solve all
telecommunications problems. The future will see a mix of
various technologies and the market should be permitted to
determine, over time, which ones best suit particular applications.
The government should maintain a general regulatory policy of
‘technology-neutrality’ (not favouring any particular technology,
whether it be wireless or wire-line). Specific measures should be
put in place to extend the understanding and takeup of wireless
broadband.

Have a read of the entire report (and the hansard notes if you can be
bothered) and you will be in a much better position to comment on the
WiMAX rollout.  If you spent weeks of your life preparing for the
enquiry back in 2002, then you should be an expert.  :P

Cheers,
Tyson Clugg.