[MLB-WIRELESS] East Timor

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 3 17:11:06 EST 2007

At 04:09 PM 6/3/2007, Rick wrote:
>im sure theres something that will do load sharing between 2 dial up
>connections that should allow a few people to get on web browsing happerly

Well, I shared dialup for an office LAN back in the mid 90's.  We
were running 33.6kbps (later 56k when that become available), and the
router was an old 486 running pppd and ipfwadm (yes, a 2.0.x
kernel!).  It worked, though often rather slowly when a few dozen
users hit it.  Mind you, when we approached the ISP for an upgrade to
the connection speed at a later stage, they were somewhat amazed at
the amount of data we managed to suck down a dialup... think it was
something like 3-6 gig/month. :)

If I was to do it now (i.e. the East Timor situation), I'd set it up
in a fairly similar manner, but with a modern distro.  The tweaks I'd make are:

1.  Limit the MTU to 576 bytes for the PPP connection.

2.  Setup traffic shaping so that the limited bandwidth is shared
equally between users, and important traffic (e.g. SSH, if you need
to administer it remotely) gets priority.  The bandwidth limits would
have to be determined experimentally, according to the actual
connection speeds achieved.

3.  Setup a Squid proxy and ensure all users use this proxy (whether
that be by using a transparent proxy, or simply blocking port 80, so
it can't be bypassed).  Extremely popular downloads could be mirrored
during the night, or brought in via sneakernet, if someone is
travelling regularly to a place with better connectivity (good
approach for Linux distros and other large files that change
occasionally).  it's hard to beat the bandwidth of a suitcase full of
DVDs ;)  Basically, take every step to minimise redundant traffic
across the dialup.  From experience, Squid can make a huge difference
on dialup.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com