[MLB-WIRELESS] MW Update

Peter Buncle peter at nmc.net.au
Fri Jan 12 19:16:08 EST 2007

Hi All,

The mitsubishi r100's are a great cheap router if you can get one (not
manufactured anymore)
(they're a rebadged Asus wl500g if you didn't know)

Deals direct is supposed to have another lot coming at some point, the
last lot went for 50$ each !

MW Network Update

For those that haven't heard, the nework is a big bigger now,
but email me if you can help in some way or have access to a site
you feel will be good.

-- There's a backbone now from point cook to Mt Dandenong (GHO) then it
bounces through
the eastern suburbs & to the southern end of mt dand, then onto
springvale, clayton & geelong.

-- We have access to put up a node on the northcote hill (EAI) which
will come
operational within the next two months. (never enuf time)
(has perfect 180deg views from north thru east to south from there)

-- There's a tower at Heidleberg we have gained access to which is in
the planning stages.

-- There's also active 5gig equipment in the city ready for a link to
the north of the city.

-- There's also penciled plans for other nodes in the werribee area &
maybe belgrave area
Should an uplink be possible.

-- I'm also working to get the southern region linked in again very soon
too.

-- We're also hoping to replace the 2.4gig radio's at GHO at some point
with ones that
actually support long distance timing, so you can get decent bandwidth
for more that a few klm's, BUT we haven't even discussed that with the
Powers involved YET!

FYI

I've heard about, that the old Alpha Link wireless equipment is being
left behind
unused at their old locations as the network is decomssioned.

If anyone has any of this wireless equipment or knows someone or has
other
Wireless related equipment they would like to donate to the club to help

build the network, it will be greatfully received!

We'll even visit & remove the antenna's if applicable.

K I guess that's the unoffical node update / rant for now.

Cheers

Peter
MW Comittee
NodeGUR