[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: Green community datacentre

wridg_weinbergs at westnet.com.au wridg_weinbergs at westnet.com.au
Tue Feb 6 22:53:43 EST 2007

Have a look at VMware, I use it for server consolidation at work.
Move all your physical boxes into a virtual, and your processors
become more efficient (no wasted clock "ticks"/idles).

We've dramatically dropped our heat load, footprint and power
consumption in our computer rooms, yet we haven't compromised any
performance (in fact its faster!). No screens needed either - all
done via TCP/HTTP/SSH. 8 highend, mulitiprocessor boxes into 1x 4
processor, 8Gb Vmware ESX box! Nice!

Vmware, XEN or Microsoft Virtual Server.. are all [mostly] free
(unless you want the "commercial toys").