[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: Green community datacentre

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue Feb 6 01:05:31 EST 2007

There is a guy in Sydney whose company specializing in reclaimed thermal
heating/cooling.

I don't know his company name but have his contact details if anyone on
the list really wants to get in touch with him.

Basically they build huge water loops for offices and warehouses, often
in the carpark and other areas.

The hot air/cold air is sent into the loop via an exchanger and then
pumped underground, comes back closer to the 18 degrees or whatever the
temp is that the earth is (to be honest I don't remember0.

He also told me that there is a water cooled exchange at the Balmain
water police station that runs coolant through the pier underneath (it's
on top of the sea).

Apparently because of dissipation of water this is even better at
heating/cooling.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357 Ph
+1-917-207-3420 Mb
+61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

Samuel
> Sent: Monday, 5 February 2007 10:16 PM
> To: melbwireless at wireless.org.au
> Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] OT: Green community datacentre
>
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Gary Winder wrote:
>
> > He's got a rack of IBM servers that pulls 24 - 30 Kilowatts.
>
> The UPS for our small machine room of HPC gear where I work maxes out
at
> 80kVa...
>
> --
>  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Melbourne, VIC
>
> This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
> For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP
>
> --
4/02/2007
> 9:58 PM