[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar Power - How much battery?

Andrew Leech a_leech at swin.edu.au
Thu Dec 6 18:22:15 EST 2007

Another consideration is that to estimate power output from a day of sun
you actually have to assume there's only about 4 hours of rated power on
a nice sunny day. This is to take into account the angle of the sun with
reference to the panel, when the panel isn't facing dead on at the sun
there's only a percentage of power generated depending on the angle.
cos/sin and all that. That's why sun tracking solar panels are nice :-)

So for a good sunny day you can only expect to get 4hours x 80W =
320W-hours.

You'll want to measure the amount of power the ap's draw as well, the
rating on the back of them is just a max rating the power adaptor should
be able to supply, they shouldn't draw anything near that.

So going by the example of 2A @ 12V = 24W,
hence power required over a day is then 24W x 24hours = 576W-hours.
That's not sounding too good. umm... I suggest getting ap's that don't
need 2A to run.

Andrew