[MLB-WIRELESS] OT Mobile and Melb. Uni wireless?

David Coles coles.david at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:47:31 EST 2007

That sounds about correct.
While we at MUCSA used to run MUCSAWireless in the Computer Science Building
this is slowly being phased out now that the Universities 'main' wireless
MUWIRELESS is available in these buildings.

Making a connection to MUWIRELESS isn't much a problem - it's an open
network and has pretty good coverage over most of the Uni and several
outdoor areas (see
http://www.infodiv.unimelb.edu.au/wireless/muwirelessmap.pdf) - there is a
pretty stringent captive portal (web based student username & password) on
it that causes all sorts of havoc if you want to maintain a long term
session.  It's possible you could write a little script to 'feed'  the
portal at regular intervals (I did something similar on my laptop since I
hated having to start up Firefox just to get a SSH connection going) but you
might incur the wrath of Central IT if it allowed direct access to the
'inner' network of the University to people outside.

Still, I like the idea of having access to Melbourne Wireless on campus and
having a more direct link between here and home would be quite interesting
to see up and running.
It might be even possible to borrow some roof space on the CS building - I
know that we have a couple of the old WRT's from the MUCSA Wireless that
still hasn't been taken down yet. I'll certainly keep an eye on the rest
this news.

Cheers,
David Coles
MUCSA *General Committee*