[MLB-WIRELESS] FON as an alternative to meraki-mini

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Sun Apr 29 06:14:37 EST 2007

BTW just in case you guys in Australia missed the announcement, FON just
signed a major deal here in New York this week with Time Warner Cable.

The basics of the deal are this, that any and all Time Warner Cable
customers can now 'purchase' a very subsidized FON box and connect it to
their Time Warner Cable outlet for wireless service throughout their
home but....also access any other FON box with the same user name
throughout the FON network.

It's a major major deal (can you imagine Telstra or someone else writing
a deal like that.....ooops hell just froze over). There are some very
wide ranging ramifications around what this may mean, details are still
being brought to light so I've held off writing about it yet but I'll
probably blog something about it later this week on
www.Collins.net.pr/blog Personally I'm super stoked about it, being in
NY it pretty much means I'll be able to get citywide wifi access
anywhere I go.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357 Ph
+61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

  <http://click.mexuar.com/webuser/click/7/userurl/Cognation>
<http://click.mexuar.com/webuser/nojs/7/userurl/Cognation>

wrote:

> >> Is there an easily installable version of OpenWRT for the Maraki's?
Or

> >> os it still a requirement to compile your own?

> >> I assume compiling would require a Linux system, which I do not
have,

> >> which is why I have not purchased any of these units yet.

> >> My main uses would be small AP's and client bridges.

> >>   *Shaun Lee Clarke*

> >> *Mobile:* 0433 559 020

cheaper

hear that

support.

> >> this:

> >> http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Fon/Fonera#head-

> 502f55fd07aa0b4317f616f2dc0c8552eb161749

distribution.