[MLB-WIRELESS] Carrier Licence

Rowan 2006 rowan2006 at sensation.net.au
Sat Sep 23 11:38:09 EST 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Point Cook Freenet wrote:

> 1.    What are the legalities of sharing an internet connection with
> "friends and neighbours". I know my ISP forbids sharing. Do they all?

The reason most ISPs disallow sharing is because their limits are based on
the average usage of one or two people. If everyone started sharing a
single connection with 10 neighbours then that average would increase, and
the ISP's already low profit margins would disappear.

Business accounts are usually the exception because it's assumed that
several people will be sharing the connection. Some accounts may also
allow reselling to third parties.

> 2.    If a business Joe Blogg Pty Ltd buys a wholesale internet connection
> it can share it with its 100 employees, including a microlink to the other
> factory down the road. Could a business Melbourne Wireless Inc buy a
> wholesale rate and share it with it employees or members?

> 2a.    Its likely i imaging the wholesale supplier may require that the
> network was secure (members/employees only) and the number of total or
> concurrent users could be specified, measured and controlled.

All a wholesale supplier will care about is that you follow their ToS (if
they have one - basics like no spamming, don't use it for attacks etc).
If you buy 1Mbit/sec of bw then you can use it yourself, share it with
your neighbours, or become an ISP and onsell it to others... or anything
else you can think of. :)

Cheers.