[MLB-WIRELESS] Public internet access

Zik Saleeba zik at zikzak.net
Fri Sep 22 11:11:06 EST 2006

Ok, here goes one of my ideas up in flames. A response from Gary of the ACMA:

-------------------
Members leasing their equipment to Melbourne Wireless Group would not negate
the need for individual members to have a carrier licence. The owners of a
telecommunications network unit, which is used to supply carriage services
to the public, must hold a carrier licence unless a nominated carrier
declaration (NCD) is in place for the network unit.  Melbourne Wireless
Group would need to own the base station equipment and lease these to the
members.
Melbourne Wireless Group could than obtain a carrier licence to cover its
network.

Note that Melbourne Wireless Group would need to be a constitutional company
to be able to apply for a carrier licence.
-------------------

Someone mentioned community radio groups like 3RRR etc. which operate
on a donation basis. I like this idea - how about a community internet
group which takes donations and provides free internet access? 3RRR
have a subscriber drive for a couple of weeks each year. Maybe a
community internet group could do the same thing? For instance you
could have a web login for a couple of weeks each year which
encourages people to donate.

All the infrastructure would be owned by the group and a small number
of people could be employed to manage money and infrastructure.

It's a bit of a different idea to the current group though - more of a
community service than a group of hobbyists doing their thing. I'm not
sure if that's what the people here are interested in.

Cheers,
Zik