[MLB-WIRELESS] Public internet access

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 07:23:02 EST 2006

David Ashburner wrote:

> The gist of the letter Steve received is "would we compete
> with and be advantaged relative to a commercial provider".
>
> This is a massive loophole that allows them to deny us an exemption.
>
> If we so much as offer anything for free that is an advantage
> to us for attracting customers ( who may not take up a
> contract with a commercial provider as a result ) and
> therefore grounds to reject an exemption.
>
> If we charge for anything then we are commercial and don't
> qualify for an exemption
>
> catch-22

The whole Ministerial exemption thing means that they can do whatever the
hell they want.  Screw that whole "rule of law" concept. :(  I reckon we
should post that letter on the website as the answer to "why don't we have
Internet" question.

If a licence-free community ISP were to be unfair competition to commercial
ISPs, what does this say about the framework that industry operates in?  Are
Australian ISPs so pissweak that they couldn't compete with a bunch of
volunteer hobbyist geeks (us)?

Do commercial radio stations complain about unfair competition from RRR, PBS
and the ABC?  Is Channel 9 seriously worried that Channel 31 is stealing
market share?  Is Australian society worse-off because of the existence of
community broadcasters?  No, in fact we are far better off - community radio
and TV bring many benefits - which I won't go into now.  I believe the same
arguments should apply to community ISPs.

We need to make these arguments to people in power - not the just the ACMA
and the Minister, but Senators and MPs from the other parties.

Cheers,

Dan