[MLB-WIRELESS] Public internet access

Robert Hart robert at air-stream.org
Wed Sep 20 15:26:21 EST 2006

There are lots of wireless Internet providers out there, all scrambling
over each other for slim pickings, I'm not sure why any wireless group
would head down this path.

A Community Wireless Network is something altogether different and far
more exciting not just another Internet outlet, there is so much more to
explore.  I guess once the community understands more about it, this
will change, just like it happened with Open Source software.

Interesting related post:
http://www.linuxworld.com/events/keynotes/lwsf06-lessig.html

Nevertheless Community Wireless Networks fall within the meaning of
'exempt network' under subsection 34 (3) of the Telecommunications Act
1997, the owner of the exempt network is not required to hold a carrier
license.  An exempt network includes a WLAN that is used for the sole
purpose of supplying carriage services on a non-commercial basis.  The
reference to sole purpose means not only must it be shown that the
network is used for supplying carriage services on a non-commercial
basis, but that it is used only for that purpose.