[MLB-WIRELESS] OpenWRT and OLSRd

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 08:26:32 EST 2006

Hi Kim,

For your application you should investigate the use of the Nameservice
plugin and the Dynamic Gateway plugin for OLSRd.  The Nameservice plugin
propagates the IP addresses of DNS Servers throughout the OLSR network.  It
also propagates the hostnames of all nodes running the Nameservice plugin -
a true peer-to-peer DNS system.  The plugin produces a dynamically-updated
hosts file.  This file can then be read by a program such as DNSMasq which
can serve hosts files via the DNS protocol.

The Dynamic Gateway plugin has been designed to detect the presence of an
Internet connection on the node on which it is running - if a live Internet
connection is confirmed, it dynamically advertises itself (via HNA) as a
0.0.0.0/0 route across the OLSR network.  If the Internet connection drops
out, the gateway route is removed.  I haven't played with it but it may be
possible to configure it to dynamically advertise routes other than
0.0.0.0/0.

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog: