[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: increasing GPS accuracy

Rowan 2006 rowan2006 at sensation.net.au
Tue Oct 17 19:37:37 EST 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Jason Hecker wrote:

> >> Isn't a sideband on the national network of TripleJ FM transmitters used
> >> for DGPS?
> >
> > no idea.... could be?
>
> Nah, it's not.  MW band.  See:
>
> http://www.amsa.gov.au/Shipping_Safety/Navigation_Safety/Differential_Global_Postitioning_System/

I'm pretty sure that there's a commercial service which transmits DGPS
info via JJJ. As Steven suggests it is $$$quite$$$expensive$$$ to do it
this way.

Here's some more info on the poor man's DGPS, similar to what I was
suggesting:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/poordgps.htm

Looks like it needs lower level information to succeed - lat and lon is
not sufficient. Ah well, I don't really *need* the additional accuracy,
was just wondering if it was possible to do with a second GPS receiver
only. I'm using it for recording the position and heading of photos I'm
taking in an semirural area that will be fully developed within a few
years.

BTW, I was actually at a survey mark on top of a hill yesterday... should
have popped the GPS right over it and later compared the reading with the
surveyed position. :)

Cheers.