[MLB-WIRELESS] Proposal: MWRP at Scouts Jamboree

Simon Hall simon.hall at getstarted.com.au
Wed Feb 8 21:38:34 EST 2006

Well, All I can say that is an absolute cracking Idea!  Possibly piggy
backing off the Souting associations already created infratructure (i.e
Scout halls) would perhaps give us a chance to have some nodes that could be
used as a permanant Melb wireless locations.

I have checked and Elmore not surprisingly does have ADSL access so you
could put the pop in at the local scout hall if it was geographically
convenient or even the location where the Jamboree is being held.  I am sure
they would have phone lines there although not sure of the distance from the
exchange

Looking on the Elmore Field days website they mention about the Telstra
Country Wide service... Whatever that is it is a bit hazy on the Telstra
site what it actually is.  But they may be able to provide some sort of
temporary broadband internet connection.  Obviously things have moved on
since 2000 so I am sure that it is all dooable without having to do huuuge
wireless links.  Although it would be fun to get it to work.

You also never know what sort of sponsorship the Scouts can pull out of the
hat so an ISP might be too happy to participate in such a popular event.

We may also be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here as I have seen on the
Scouting Australia Website that they already have a JOTI (Jamboree On The
Internet) every October for 2 days. It may be the case that they have
already thought of better internet connectivity/

Cheers
Simon Hall