[MLB-WIRELESS] OT product question

Shaun Lee Clarke clarke.shaun.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Dec 29 13:29:07 EST 2006

If the load is just ELV devices such as 12V or so access points, another
option would be to switch the DC side of the adapter powering them.

This removes a large amount of cost, complexity, and also solves any
safety issues with switching 240V.

If you went down this path, a cheap option would be the following:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KV3595&CATID=&keywords=ip+relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

These devices to the job well if you only want to access it occasionally
  to forcefully reboot the AP (through the web interface), but I have
not had much success with the SDK for more advanced functions (like
integrating it into custom control software).

Another note with these devices, is that they have 2 NO and 2 NC relays,
but provided the device isn't powered off, you could still use them to
cut or restore power to the device by setting the NO relays to be 'Off'
and turn them 'On' when you want the AP off.

And lastly, for some reason, Jaycar doesn't bundle a 5VDC adapter with
these units, but they do for the very similar IP Sensor board, so make
sure you get one of those... I made that assumption and was quite
annoyed when I couldn't even power the unit on.

If you want to give these units a trial, I've got one that I'm not using
yet that I would be happy to loan for a while.

  *Shaun Lee Clarke*
*Mobile:* 0433 559 020

*Alternate Mobile:* 0400 211 386

*Strathmore Secondary College*
Computer Technician
clarke.shaun.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
http://www.strathmore.vic.edu.au
(03) 9379-7999

*Victorian Space Science Education Centre*
Computer Technician
shaun.clarke at vssec.vic.edu.au
http://www.vssec.vic.edu.au
(03) 9379-3456