[MLB-WIRELESS] OT product question

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 28 09:41:18 EST 2006

At 11:08 PM 12/27/2006, Shaun Lee Clarke wrote:
>I'd assume the power board not accessible easily, maybe in a fixed
>position etc. Or hopefully, the other household members know not to
>go playing near the servers/routers etc.
>
>That Aviosys product I mentioned only has 5 or 6A relays (but they
>could be individually fused).
>
>To be on the safe side, you could easily add a fuse, or just find a 10A relay.

I'd also make sure there is a GFI (safety switch) in the circuit as
well.  You can buy those too.

>When I was looking at 240V remote switching applications, I tried to
>steer away from the DIY solutions as the product would be used in an
>educational environment, but I suppose as long as everything is
>fused, and in a nice box so that there aren't any live 240V
>connections exposed, it should be fine.

Only times I've looked at remote switching have been for a commercial
environment, so I've also looked for commercial solutions (and found
none that the bean counters would pay for ;) ).  Unfortunately, these
days, with power cable tagging becoming a requirement (beuaracracy
and lawyers gone mad), DIY solutions are really only feasible for the
home (and even in that case, check your insurance policy!).

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com