[MLB-WIRELESS] Question for the brainstrust

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 11 11:55:57 EST 2006

At 10:57 AM 8/11/2006, Fenn Bailey wrote:

>Anyone got any experience as to real-world achievable speeds over indoor
>short distances with .11g? I have 24Mbps iiNet (and live only about 180m
>from the exchange), and I hate my bottleneck to be the last 10m within my
>house!

Well, it could well be.  I do have a spreadsheet of some actual test
results done over verious distances from 50m (with massive signals ;)
) to 400+m.  The 50m case would be basically similar to indoor work,
but from memory, the short range top speed was a little below the
often quoted 20 Mbps, would have to look, but in the 15-20 Mbps
range, off the top of my head.  It is also highly hardware
dependent.  Some wireless devices can't even manage 5Mbps, others
will approach the 20, no dramas.  The AP in the tests was a WRT45G
(V3 I think) running DD-WRT.  All tests were client - AP (the server
was connected to the AP over Ethernet (100Mbps)).

For raw speed and stability, wires rule. ;)  I connected my media PC
via Cat 5, despite the fact that I have good wireless signals there,
and the cable run required a lot of crawling under the house, because
I wanted a rock stable, fast as possible connection to move gigs of
stuff around on. :-)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com