[MLB-WIRELESS] Question for the brainstrust

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Thu Aug 10 10:20:14 EST 2006

At 09:40 AM 8/10/2006, Fenn Bailey wrote:
>Hey Lads,
>
>Quick question for the brainstrust out there -
>
>I need to connect 2 desktop workstations to a .11g wireless LAN, and
>performance is a key issue. That said, cost is also (always) something to
>take into account.

You can't run some Cat 5?  that would give by far the best bang for
your buck if there's a suitable switch nearby. :)

>I'm looking at what option these days is best for connecting desktops -
>Ideally, I would find a .11g access point that works in client mode (so all
>wirelessness is handled off the PC), but that sounds like potentially an
>expensive option, when you can pick up a PCI card for $39.
>
>That said, my experience with PCI cards has been iffy in the past, with many
>of the cheap options having most of the processing handled in software, and
>the performance being pretty miserable (sub .11b type performance) - and the
>radios being very shoddy.

Biggest issue I've had with PCI has been reliability (prone to
dropouts).  Speed wise, the ones I've used (mostly various Dlink)
have been fine.

>In terms of bang for buck (performance wise), do I want:
>  - 1) A PCI card (Linksys, Dlink, what?)

Speed in my experience (various dlink) has been good, but prone to
occasional dropouts.

>  - 2) A USB 2.0 adapter (brand recommendations?)

Experience with USB has been patchy.  Some work well, a little Dlink
one that looks like an oversized USB key was one of the faster ones
for short range indoor work.  Another dlink (with a flip up antenna)
was quite slow.  Can't recall model numbers, it's been 2 months since
I did those trials.

>  - 3) A wireless AP (Mitsubishi R100, Linksys something...?)

Haven't used an AP very often, and when I have, it's only been .b, so
can't comment there.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com