[MLB-WIRELESS] what's on your public wireless server?

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Mon Oct 17 11:19:33 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 10:05 +1000, Fenn Bailey wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> > Is anyone else interested in Joe Public access or are you
> > mainly into networking with known people/members?
>
> I am! I am and have been intending to setup a walled garden on my AP with a
> simple registration process and allow people free (but shaped) internet
> access off my connection. Considering I currently have 12Megabits pretty
> much going to waste every second, it seems only fair :)
>
> There'll be a simple registration process that requires some form of
> authentication, just so it's not people randomly stubling across net access
> without being aware of what it is. Access will be limited however - ie: No
> SMTP, P2P blocked, etc, etc. Probably only HTTP and POP3 and a few other
> bits and pieces (instant messangers).

Let me know how you go with that, and what software you pick. I've got
one of my networks opened up and am allowing http/https traffic only,
via a transparent squid setup.

Having a step in between where $USER would need to agree to not abuse
the facilities and would have their MAC address logged might help deter
script kiddies at least.

- P.
--
Peter Lieverdink   counter.li.org #108200   -37.807478, 144.94465
0x969F3F57   9662 1CB5 8E54 450D 2E12 9D7E 580E 2519 969F 3F57