[MLB-WIRELESS] dead wall warts

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:57:10 EST 2005

>Wallwarts made these days have a thermal "fuse" mounted in the transformer
>itself, usually under the layer of tape in thermal contact with the
>windings.  To make an educated guess as to what is going on you would need
>to know if the primary, secondary or fuse is going open circuit.  If you
>peel the tape off, you should be able to find the fuse and do a forensic!

I've found the fuse,  sort of smallish white rectangle (M20 tf115o 06c). The
fize is open circuit so that is probably it. I'll bring an open one to the
next MW meeting :)

>Maybe your UPS cutting in and out all the time is producing transients or
>if
>the UPS has square wave output that may be causing problems.  Do the plug
>packs run hot?

They're warmish. They seem to go within a few minutes of being powered on, I
haven't tried to correlate to what the mains voltage is doing at the time
though.

Think I may get some sort of logger on the mains supply and see what is
happening - if nothing else than to show my power company they are running
over-voltage and ask for a refund !!