[MLB-WIRELESS] dead wall warts

Ratbaggy wireless at smithsgully.net
Tue Oct 4 19:39:19 EST 2005

David,

Wallwarts made these days have a thermal "fuse" mounted in the transformer
itself, usually under the layer of tape in thermal contact with the
windings.  To make an educated guess as to what is going on you would need
to know if the primary, secondary or fuse is going open circuit.  If you
peel the tape off, you should be able to find the fuse and do a forensic!

A friend of mine has had one Minitar plugpack fail and that was running on
good mains (replaced under warranty).  I killed one by shorting the output
and that took out the transformer fuse.

Maybe your UPS cutting in and out all the time is producing transients or if
the UPS has square wave output that may be causing problems.  Do the plug
packs run hot?

David Nuttall.