[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: The Linksys WRT54G era comes to an end.

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 28 08:59:46 EST 2005

> >> If you are looking to get something to run OpenWRT, I suggest that
> >> you take note of the revisions of hardware table at:
> >> http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I picked up some Netgear WGT634U on eBay. They are refurbished units ( this
means they were in the old silver case and have been sent back to the
factory for a new black and silver case ). They already running Linux, there
is an OpenWrt port almost complete and as a bonus they have both a Mini-PCI
based radio (Atheros) and a USB host, so you could change the radio card if
you wanted and add extra storage.

The as-shipped OS is Linux 2.4 based on the LRP distribution. 8Mb flash 32
Mb RAM, broadcom CPU with some funky hardware encryption stuff.

The down side is that the antenna is fixed, being soldered onto the Mini-PCI
card via a short flylead. There is however a second connector on the card
and the fixed antenna can easily be removed (see the picture on the wiki
page).

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?WGT634U

mine cost between $60-79 with $10 postage